maandag 25 februari 2013

Castlevania of Cagliostro

I don't usually make posts like this but this time I just couldn't resist, so here we go, I'm going to make a point about how studio Ghibli's Castle of Cagliostro (1979) served as a base for Castlevania (1986)!

Let's start with the most obvious one; level four, the Underground Caverns!




Water-filled skeleton-ridden cave? Check.




Shenanigans on the rooftops of the castle? Check.





A red-bricked route leading up to a chapel? Check!





Clocktower capering leading up to a final confrontation with the cloaked main villain?
Check!

Of course, I was thinking if anyone else noticed (I mean of course someone/everyone must have, but still) and someone (this guy http://tinycartridge.com/post/31536775930/scenes-from-castlevania-compared-with-the-castle) noticed some things I didn't. So here they are!


(Really, how could I have missed this one?)



So there you have it! Ghibli was instrumental in forming the first Castlevania into what it is or I'm a monkey's uncle!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten